A strong jawline and chin is a defining masculine feature and can have a profound affect on facial appearance and your confidence.
At the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery, expert techniques, specialized implants and facial filling injections can enhance the appearance of a chin that is small or recessed, define a weak or hidden jawline, and bring the lower proportions of the face in balance with other facial features.
Overall the goal is to achieve harmony – facial features that complement one another for an appearance that is uniquely and naturally yours.
What are cheek, chin & jaw enhancement?
Augmentation or enhancement of specific facial features may be performed with surgical or nonsurgical techniques. Injections with hylauronic acid fillers like Juvederm® may be performed as an office-based procedure, or chin and jaw implants may be implanted to enhance the angles, size or projection of facial features:
- Injections may be performed under local anesthesia only .
- If implants are used, incisions are often placed inside the mouth .
- External incisions may be placed below the chin to insert a chin implant .
- Jaw implants may also be placed through incisions made during a facelift or other procedures Cheek enhancement involves surgically implanted or injected devices that redefine flat or hollow cheeks:
- Implants may be placed through incisions inside the mouth, lower eyelid, at the temples or through incisions commonly made during facelift procedures .
- Injectable dermal fillers may temporarily reshape the fullness and soft contours of the cheeks and mid-face. Your own fat may also be used to provide a more permanent solution .
Why might cheek, chin, or jaw enhancement surgery be recommended for me?
Looking younger and improving facial harmony may be attained through cosmetic procedures enhancement of small or recessed jaw or chin and of a mid-face that is flat or lacking contour from lack of volume.
Who is a candidate for cheek, chin & jaw enhancement?
Women and men of many ages and circumstances undergo cosmetic procedures to attain facial harmony. These factors generally define good candidates for cheek, chin & jaw enhancement:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery .
- You understand what cheek, chin & jaw enhancement can and cannot accomplish .
- You accept the potential risks of cheek, chin & jaw enhancement and your responsibilities as a patient .
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries .
What should I know about cheek, chin & jaw enhancement?
- Injections are performed in the office under local anesthesia or as a part of another general procedure .
- Cheek, chin & jaw implants are performed on an out-patient basis .
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation .
- Cheek, chin & jaw enhancement are performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia .
- Recovery ranges from 1-7 days. However, you’ll be able to be active the day of the surgery .
- Results with surgically placed implants may be long-lasting but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice and proper skincare is essential after surgery.
- Results for injectables are dependent on the location and type of material used .
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center .
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation .
For more information about facial plastic surgery to enhance the cheek, chin, or jaw, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.