Grand Rapids Breast Reduction
Large, pendulous, heavy breasts can be reduced to create a more proportionate, attractive appearance and better proportion for your body. As a result, your breasts are more shapely, firm, natural looking and uniquely designed to fit your body proportions and lifestyle. In many cases reducing breast size offers relief of back or neck pain, improves poor posture and your activity. A customized plan will determine the reduction volume to meet your goals, and whether limited incision options are right for you.
What is breast reduction?
Breast reduction is a procedure that results in breasts that are smaller, lighter and more firm and rounded by reducing breast fat, glandular tissue and skin. The areola (dark skin surrounding the nipple) is commonly decreased in size and nipples may be repositioned.
Why would breast reduction be recommended for me?
Breast reduction can eliminate health symptoms associated with overly large breasts such as neck pain, back pain, shoulder grooving and limitations in functional activity, restore balance in the proportions of your body, and enhance self-confidence. Following breast reduction many women feel the freedom to wear different fashion styles, they do not feel they must hide behind baggy clothing or high necklines and have less discomfort with physical activity.
Who is a candidate for breast reduction?
Women of various ages and from many circumstances choose breast reduction surgery. These factors generally define good candidates for breast implant procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what breast reduction surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally stable and secure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about breast reduction?
- Breast reduction is performed on an out-patient basis.
- Breast reduction is performed under general anesthesia.
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Scars are normal outcomes of surgery and are generally concealed by modest lingerie and bras.
- Recovery varies by individual, but the vast majority return to daily activities of living and non-lifting jobs within a week following surgery.
- Results are permanent, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results over time and normal aging and gravity can affect your long term outcome.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
For more information about breast surgery, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.