Ear Surgery in Grand Rapids
Ears that protrude, or those that are misshapen, can be a source of self-consciousness for children and adults alike. Ear surgery uses advanced facial plastic surgery techniques to create a natural angle between the head and the ears, and where needed, can create a natural fold and contour to your ears. It can also further define the natural architecture of your ear with hidden suture techniques. As a result of ear surgery, ears no longer protrude nor do they looked pinned or over done; they are a natural complement to your facial features and contribute to balance and harmony.
What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery (also called otoplasty) decreases the projection of the ear and the angle of the ear in relation to the head, and also improves the shape of the ear. Ear surgery can also improve structural deformities that result in a misshapen or absent ear. Typically an incision is made in the back portion of the ear, to either reshape or reduce the cartilage, and reposition the “Y” shaped folds of the ear.
Why might ear surgery be recommended for me?
The appearance of the ears in relation to your overall facial appearance, projection off the head and proportions may have a dramatic effect on self-esteem. Improving facial harmony through ear surgery often has a very positive effect on the self-confidence of children and adults.
Who is a candidate for ear surgery?
Children generally aged 5-12 with very prominent ears, or older adolescents who are able to articulate their desire for the procedure and to follow instructions, and women and men of many ages and circumstances undergo ear surgery. These factors generally define good candidates for ear surgery procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what ear surgery procedure can and cannot accomplish.
- You and your guardian accept the potential risks of ear surgery procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally stable and secure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about ear surgery?
- Ear surgery is generally performed on an out-patient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Ear surgery is performed under general anesthesia and occasionally under local with sedation in adults.
- Recovery ranges from 7-10 days, although you will return to light, normal daily activity immediately following surgery.
- Results are long-lasting, proper skincare is essential after surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from surgery.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
For more information about facial plastic surgery to enhance the ears, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.