Grand Rapids Neck Lift
Weight loss, aging or heredity can contribute to a neck that is sagging, or bulges beneath your chin. Often performed in conjunction with a facelift, a necklift includes laser liposuction to reduce the fat pocket that accumulates under then chin. As a result of neck lift surgery, a younger, lighter, more defined appearance evolves that enhances not only the neck but also complements the face.
What is a neck lift?
A neck lift redefines the neck by reducing a double chin and smoothing a neck that has lost its youthful appearance. Techniques include:
- A small incision beneath the chin that can tighten vertical muscles of the neck.
- Submental liposuction beneath the chin to reduce excess fat
- If excess skin needs to be reduced, incisions may be placed horizontally within the hairline behind the ears.
- A necklift may be performed alone or as part of a facelift.
Why might neck lift surgery be recommended for me?
Looking young and improving facial appearance is important to self-confidence. A necklift may dramatically improve your appearance, redefining your neck and revealing your chin and jawline.
Who is a candidate for a neck lift?
Age does not define candidates for facial rejuvenation. Women and men of various ages choose facial rejuvenation to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging. These factors generally define good candidates for a neck lift:
- You can clearly define what you wish to achieve through neck lift.
- You understand what a neck lift can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of a neck lift and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally stable and secure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about neck lift surgery?
- Neck lifts are performed on an out-patient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in hairline or beneath your chin. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Neck lifts are most commonly performed under local anesthesia with sedation.
- Recovery ranges from 5-7 days, however, you can generally return to light, daily activity the day following your procedure.
- Results are long-lasting but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice and proper skincare is essential after surgery. In addition, normal aging and gravity may affect your outcome.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
For more information about facial plastic surgery or neck lift surgery, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.