Facial Fat Transfer Grand Rapids, MI
Soft, natural, entirely personalized – fat transfer uses your own tissue to enhance or reshape facial or body features. Fat transfer creates a soft and natural result to enhance the lips, reshape the cheeks or chin, or to soften deep hollows beneath the eyes. Fat transfer can also fill out deep facial creases, or improve the appearance of skeletal-looking hands, breast or body. This procedure can be performed in one office visit, or in conjunction with your facelift or body procedures.
Dr. Ringler now offers Body-Jet, water assisted liposuction, the latest technique for gently removing and harvesting fat cells that may then be used as an all-natural filler to augment the face, hands, or body. The unique system of gently pulsating water to dislodge the fat cells ensures minimal damage to the cells that are then harvested to provide a healthy, longer lasting grafting option for facial and body rejuvenation.
What is a fat transfer?
Fat transfer is a procedure to replace fat that has naturally diminished with age, or to enhance the soft tissue of facial and occasionally other anatomic areas such as the buttocks. Replacing fat requires that it first be removed with liposuction techniques from a site where it is abundant such as the abdomen, hips or buttocks. Within the same treatment session that it is extracted, the fat is injected or grafted to improve facial contours, lift creases and depressions and enhance cheeks, lips, buttocks or occasionally the breast or extremities.
Why might fat transfer be recommended for me?
As our faces age, we lose facial volume. Fat transfer can help create a more youthful appearance by adding volume to the face. Body contouring and increasing volume or shape to the buttocks or other areas of the body can help create a more balanced appearance.
Who is a candidate for fat transfers?
Age does not define candidates for fat transfer. Women and men of various ages choose fat transfer for face and body rejuvenation.
These factors generally define good candidates for fat transfer:
- You can clearly define what you want to achieve for your appearance.
- You understand what a fat transfer can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of a fat transfer and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally stable and secure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about fat transfers?
- Fat transfer is an out-patient procedure which may be performed under local anesthesia, or may be performed in conjunction with other facial rejuvenation procedures, such as a facelift, or other body contouring procedures such as liposuction.
- Side effects include swelling, bruising and numbness.
- Recovery varies by individual, most swelling and bruising will disappear in about 2-3 weeks.
- Results are long-lasting, but, normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes.
- All cosmetic procedures carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
For more information about fat transfer, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.