Grand Rapids Silicone Gel Breast Implants
Breast implants are medical devices implanted to improve breast size, enhance the shape and firmness of your breast, or to restore a breast that has been disfigured or lost as a result of cancer or prior surgeries. A multitude of breast implant types, styles, shapes and sizes are available to achieve natural-looking results for nearly every woman’s body. Rigorously tested for their safety, Dr. Ringler offers you the option of saline or silicone gel breast implants. Dr. Ringler is the only Grand Rapids plastic surgeon who specializes in the transaxillary or “scarless” breast augmentation. Our E-Stitex 3D Imaging and Simulation technology will allow you to see the projection of either silicone or saline implants on a 3D image of your own body, as well as various size options. This new, web-based 3D imaging technology is available to you at no charge during your consultation. Dr. Ringler will discuss advantages and disadvantages of saline and silicone gel implants at that time. Ultimately, the decision on which implant type you prefer is up to you.
What are silicone gel breast implants?
Implants filled with soft, stable and elastic gel that feels and moves like natural breast tissue. Silicone breast implants come in multiple sizes, shapes and projections, and are available to women age 22 and older who seek to enhance natural breast sizes and shapes, or for breast reconstruction.
Why might silicone gel breast implants be recommended for me?
Only breast implants can permanently increase the size of your breasts and bring your body into better proportion. These implants give a very natural, and stable appearance to the breast. The result for many women includes enhanced self-confidence and a more positive body image.
Who is a candidate for silicone gel breast implants?
Although the mean age is about 35, women of various ages from 18-60 elect to have breast implants for many different reasons: breast asymmetry from birth, lack of proportional development, loss of volume post-pregnancy and sagginess that may develop from gravity.
These factors generally define good candidates for breast augmentation procedures:
- You can clearly define your goals for the procedure
- You understand what breast implant surgery can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally stable and secure
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about silicone gel breast implants?
- Breast augmentation is generally performed on an out-patient basis
- The placement of your implants may be beneath your breast tissue, partially beneath the pectoral or chest muscle, or combination of the two
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in the underarm area leaving no visible scar on the breast.
- Return to normal activities of daily living is usually between 24-48 hours with minimal restrictions. Full sports activity – running, jogging, high impact aerobics is usually 3 weeks
- Results are permanent, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results and normal aging and gravity may affect outcome
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation
For more information about breast implants, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.