Blepharoplasty / Eyelid Surgery in Grand Rapids, MI
The eyes are the focal point of your face, where you connect visually with others. Aging or heredity can result in a tired, dreary appearance by puffiness, sagging and bags around the eyes. Eyelid surgery is a highly individualized procedure to refine the contour of your upper eyelids, to smooth hollows, bags or puffiness of the lower eyelid. For some, eyelid surgery may improve sad, or downturned eyes.
Trust Grand Rapids facial plastic surgery specialist Dr. Steven L. Ringler’s experience and individualized approach to help you achieve youthful, rested and natural eyes that reflect your inner beauty.
What is eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty?
Eyelid surgery restores or sculpts a youthful contour to the upper eyelid and can improve bags, puffiness and sagging skin of the lower eyelid. Techniques include:
- An incision within the natural crease of the upper eyelid. Fat may be redistributed or removed, excess skin is diminished and a more alert, less tired look is restored.
- Through this incision inside the lower eyelid fat may be reduced, grafted or redistributed to improve hollows beneath your eyes.
- An incision just at or below the lower lash line allows for the reduction of excess sagging skin below the lower eyelid and correction of bags and puffiness.
- An incision beyond the outer corner of the eye can tighten the tendons of the eyes, improving a down-turned appearance known as “sad eyes”.
Why might eyelid surgery be recommended for me?
Looking younger and improving facial appearance may be attained through facial rejuvenating procedures such as eyelid surgery.
Who is a candidate for blepharoplasty?
Age does not define candidates for eyelid surgery. Women and men of various ages choose facial rejuvenation to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging. These factors generally define good candidates for eyelid surgery procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what eyelid surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of eyelid surgery procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally stable and secure.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by eyelid surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about eyelid surgery?
- Eyelid surgery is performed on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery, and are generally concealed within the natural eyelid crease. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Eyelid surgery is performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia.
- Recovery varies by individual, but usually takes 7-10 days for swelling and bruising to resolve. You may return to light, normal daily activity the day after your procedure.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
For more information about facial plastic surgery to enhance the upper or lower eyelids, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.