Nose Surgery / Rhinoplasty Grand Rapids
Facial harmony describes facial features that are in balance and complement one another. Rhinoplasty is one of the most common facial plastic surgery procedures used to achieve facial harmony, and when approached with a personalized vision and expert techniques, rhinoplasty offers highly satisfying and consistent results. Whether you are unhappy with the proportion, angle, tip or other specific features of your nose, or you have experienced changes due to injury, nasal surgery can address what you wish to improve and allow you to present a naturally beautiful, proportionate face.
Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler specializes in facial surgery, but at this time is no longer accepting new patients for rhinoplasty.
What is rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty repositions the nose to improve its appearance, form and function. The procedure can improve the proportions and angles of the nasal bridge, nasal tip and nostrils making the nose more symmetric and proportionate to the face. Improved breathing may also be required and enhanced.
- Internal incisions are called a “closed” rhinoplasty.
- An added incision along the columella (the tissue that separates the nostrils) is known as an “open” rhinoplasty and may be utilized.
- Additional incisions may be required at the outside edge of the nostrils for changes to nostril size or to narrow the width of the base of the nose.
- The nasal bridge size or width may be reduced, reshaped or enhanced.
- Humps or other irregularities may be improved.
- The angle of the nasal tip may be adjusted.
- The size, shape or angle of the nostril may be improved.
- Internal cartilage and structures may also be addressed and breathing and airflow improved.
Why might rhinoplasty be recommended for me?
The nose is a central feature to the face and one of the most important elements to achieving “facial harmony,” where all the facial features have balance and proportion. Rhinoplasty can result in minor changes to the nose that makes a dramatic influence on your facial harmony, appearance and self-confidence.
Who is a candidate for rhinoplasty?
Women and men of many ages and circumstances undergo cosmetic procedures to attain facial harmony. These factors generally define good candidates for nasal surgery procedures:
- You can clearly define your expectations for the procedure.
- You understand what nasal surgery procedure can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of nasal surgery procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by nasal surgery procedure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about nose surgery?
- Nasal surgery is performed on an out-patient basis.
- Nasal surgery is performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia.
- Recovery ranges from 1-2 weeks, during this time, you may wear a nasal splint across the bridge. You may experience facial bruising, swelling, mild headache and nasal congestion.
- Results may be permanent but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice and proper skincare is essential after surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from surgery.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
For more information about facial plastic surgery to enhance the nose, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.